Dianna's Reviews > Eating the Dinosaur

Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

Sep 13, 2012

Read in September, 2012

I had this sort of weird amnesia thing where I would pick this book up in a store, turn it over, and somehow completely fail to read whatever was said on the back about the book. When I finally bought it, I was still vaguely convinced that it might have something to do with food. Maybe not actually eating actual dinosaurs, that would be crazy, wouldn't it? but some sort of food thing or food metaphor thing.

I also had no idea who Chuck Klosterman is. Probably I still don't, because we never really know who anyone is, or even who we are, which personally I find reassuring since I don't have to maintain any long-term character consistency and can just go where the mood takes me. And writers aren't their authorial voice, and they do self-deprecating and funny because that's what we like, and who they would like to be, rather than what they are.

Sometimes, I will pick up a book by someone I don't know and find that they expect me to know stuff about them and be some sort of follower and that's so irritating. Danny Wallace was a bit like that - he seemed to be all about 'oh I'm just this modest, goofy guy,' but then you'd read a little deeper and it'd become clear that you are supposed to already know and worship him. It was a bit dicey in the beginning with Klosterman - I thought he possibly expected me to know that he was a famous interviewing person, and I thought that he might also be a bit bleak, but it started to pick up when he got onto Kurt Cobain.

I haven't quite worked out my purpose in writing reviews on Goodreads yet. I mean, by the time I get to a book, far more useful people have already put together reviews on what's in the book so there's no point my going into that level of detail, but at the same time, what's the point of talking about a book at all if you're not at least going to mention something about what's in the book?

Then there's that whole thing about how it doesn't really matter whether I like the book or not. In this case I did, but even if I thought it was rubbish, I could be thinking that for reasons that have nothing to do with the book's merits. And, I could just be wrong.

However, since I've come this far: this book has pop culture essays, and they're very comfy. Or, it's controversial to compare Kurt Cobain to David Koresch, and plain wrong to say that there's anything in the Unabomber's manifesto that's worth reading. I vagued out a bit on Klosterman's sports essays, because I was too distracted by the novelty of reading a sports essay to properly take it all in. My favourite was definitely the time travel essay - I don't think I have much chance of finding the film he mentioned, but I'm going to pick up the book - 'The New Time Travellers' by David Toomey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating the Dinosaur.