Hallie's Reviews > Auralia's Colors

Dec 31, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2009

Finished this just after the fireworks on New Year's Eve had ended and the dogs were finally calm again...

I'd have gone for three and a half stars rather than three, if that were an option. I liked the writing a lot - though it never struck me as quite as beautiful as Patricia McKillip's - liked the story and setting a lot, and the characters were fine, if sometimes a bit distant. Especially Auralia, though the ale boy (still with no known name - good on for you for refusing to tell Auralia, ale boy!) and the prince became more engaging by the end. I also liked the feeling I got for the author, in that I felt I could trust him not to suddenly throw something at me that would feel really wrong.

But with that, I wasn't in any danger of being so drawn into the book that I had difficulty putting it down. However, I'll definitely be reading the second, as I've heard it's well worth it.

Interesting thought just struck me: both this (recommended by R.J. Anderson) and Knife, written by R.J. Anderson, have a theme of leaders responding to danger by making everyone retreat into a hugely constricting 'safety'. (Or is it just a ploy on the part of the leaders to restrict freedom?) I like this theme a lot, as it happens, and it's well-handled in both. (Haven't finished Knife yet, but not worried that it'll fall apart at this point!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Auralia's Colors.