Yanni's Reviews > The God Delusion

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

U 50x66

Dawkins for Jesus Christ! An important thrashing of the evil that is fundamentalist religion. His passionate distain (or, to be more precice: fury) for the kind of literalist idolatory he attacks is (I humbly believe) well meaning. Such distortion of religion is a very valid and meaningful opponent on which to pile heaps of venom, which indeed he does.

But the irony is that Dawkins fails to understand the difference between religious fundamentalism and faith in God in any real and meaningful sense. His total lack of any basic notions of philosophy are a little disappointing for an Oxford don - Terry Eagleton's review goes into some detail and produces a real hatchet-job in his review titled - "Lunging, Flailing, Mispunching":

Because Dawkins cares about the state of the world far more than the self righteous fundamentalists, who care far more about "being right" than either caring or loving, Dawkins follows the footsteps of Christ far more than most Christians I know do. But let's remind the fundies - Genesis is NOT a book of paleontology - it is about us - tales about which we can reflect on the state of the human psyche.

Finally, whilst this is purely circumstantial, there are plenty of smart scientists who number amongst the faithful: people such as Sir John Polkinghorne, George Ellis, Lazar Puhalo, Abdus Salam, George Coyne.... The latter interestingly debates with Dawkins on Youtube on ideas such as "is God the 'God of the gaps'" - or isn't God simply just Love?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Delusion.

Finished Reading