B's Reviews > Edgar Huntly: Or Memoirs of a Sleep-Walker

Edgar Huntly by Charles Brockden Brown

Dec 31, 2008

liked it
Read in February, 2009

Edgar Huntly marks the first of a series of supporting texts that I am to read in order to be able to decipher my brother-in-law's dissertation which was given to me as a Christmas present. Christ indeed. What have I gotten myself into?

I don't normally read novels written in 1799. It was nice to make my brain enjoy reading in a different way.

Charles Brockden Brown is insane. This book is so violent and scary. CBB treats his main character like this voo doo doll, it's awesome. Let's throw him into a cave! Now let's throw him down a cliff! Now let's make it so that he has to tumble down this mountain and swim across a freezing river! Now let's hit him in the face with a tom-a-hawk! It's kind of fun.

What else is kind of hilarious to me about this book is the fact that it's all written as a letter to his lady. Ha! It's a freaking BOOK! Then at the end he's all, "Hm. Well, I hope this brief letter finds you well, honey. Wait. It's pages and pages and has taken me weeks and weeks! Huh. Would you look at that?" I would poop myself if someone wrote me a letter that long.

I had a really hard time automatically assuming the Indians were all bad guys. It's an assumption that readers in the 1790s automatically made. Indian = Bad Guy, but gracious, it was just really disturbing. Oh, America. Such an ugly bloody bloody past you have.

I really liked the scary panthers in it and the crazy lady in the woods, Queen Mab.

Man, it was gorey.

I have more I could say about it, but I should probably read my brother-in-law's chapter about it first and hear what he had to say...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edgar Huntly.