Cyn Armistead's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Sep 13, 2012

I'm fairly sure that I missed a Kate Daniels book, because I don't recall some of the events referred to in this book. That annoys me, and I'll have to go back and read whatever the last one was out of order now. It'll be worth it, though, because Ilona Andrews' writing is always fun. Gunmetal Magic is no exception.

This is the first novel to focus on Andrea Nash, Kate Daniels' best friend. Exposed as a shapeshifter, she's been kicked out of the Order. She had just chosen to obey orders from a superior officer instead of fighting with the Pack, which led to a breakup with her lover Raphael. Now she has to rebuild her life from a shattered ruin.

Andrea is a fascinating character, abused repeatedly in her terrible childhood and raised to be ashamed of and hide her shapeshifting nature. Her relationship with Raphael is informed by their bouda nature, but her human side isn't left out by any means.

I particularly enjoy the part that Atlanta plays in Andrews' books, but as a near-native Atlanta I'm bound to be biased in that respect.

This volume and the bonus novella "Magic Gifts" are definitely worthwhile reading for any fan of the Kate Daniels series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.