Nick_britten's Reviews > The Stockholm Octavo

7119086
Sep 13, 2012

liked it
Read in September, 2012

This is a seriously good looking book and it is almost to nice to read…It is unusual in that it doesn’t have a dust cover but it is a stunning design. A big plus mark!

I must say this was a very strange book for me. First off I won’t say too much about the plot because I don’t want any spoilers.

Suffice to say, Card playing, Divination, Conspiracy, Courtly love and suspense feature quite a lot.
The positives were that, it is very well written, the story is intelligent and engaging and the plot is well worked. The characters bring a lot of emotion to the story and being set in late 18th Century Stockholm is a nice change to what I usually read.

My only gripe with the book is that it is so slow…the build up to anything took pages and pages of description, of playing cards or using fans. The strange thing was that as I was moaning about it being slow paced I couldn’t put it down. The story had enough twist and turns to keep me engaged and wanting to find out what happened.

As someone has already said, if you’re after an action book then this isn’t for you but if you are looking for a book with an intelligent plot with some great characters in a unusually setting then this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stockholm Octavo.