Sean Randall's Reviews > The Sound and the Echoes

The Sound and the Echoes by Dew Pellucid

M 50x66
Sep 13, 2012

liked it

"In a period of four years, The Sound and the Echoes was rejected by over 180 literary agents", according to the book's acknowledgements. It seems a little unfair that everyone should reject it out of hand because there's a lot going for this one.

Namely, I think that's the complete and sheer freneticism of the story. The pace is whirling in its dervishness, the sort of story where if you only give it a little of your attention you can immediately become disconnected. it pays to pay attention, because the wealth of detail is quite, quite incredible. The echo realm is a hauntingly mesmerizing memorable vista, and the description of the palace of Agám Kaffú right at the outset caught my breath and impelled further reading.

On the other hand, I can see why it's not reading to every taste. The humour is quite particular, even the style takes some getting used to. Characters are memorable, but quite... zany? I think that's the best word to use. The whole ethos of the work is unconventional and idiosyncratic, and this shows especially in characterisation and ambiance, particularly in the echo realm. One such example comes to mind; Will and Peter are researching languages and are besieged by roving Christmas lights and crystal balls. There's a great deal of silliness, which one really needs to enjoy for its own sake, as not much of it is important to the story. There's a good life lesson there, of course - hold the gravitas: sometimes, it's just nice to be a little silly.

I was privileged to be gifted a copy of this work: Dew Pellucid offers a reader much, awakening an indefinable, irreverent child-like depiction of an imaginative, strange, beautiful world.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Echoes.