K's Reviews > World Without End

F 50x66
Dec 30, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: historicalfiction, couldntfinish, maybe-it-s-me

I can't believe I actually read the first 656 pages of this drivel. As one reviewer said of a different book, there's a time and place for a trashy book, but 1237 pages is an awful lot of time to devote to trash. "Pillars of the Earth," though no great piece of literature, was a gripping and engaging story most of the way through. This book was not. The writing was clunky, the characters were one-dimensional and sometimes anachronistic, and the plot was surprisingly slow by Ken Follett standards, with no compelling writing to compensate.

I actually realized all this pretty early on, but I was on a long vacation and this was my only book. Eventually I got into the story despite myself, and later on, even as my interest started to wane again, I plodded on because I was too busy to invest the effort of getting into another book. However, with my cousin Yitzchak's encouragement (thanks, Yitzchak!), I have decided that it's simply not worth the time and energy to finish the book. I just don't care enough. On to bigger and -- well, on to better, anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Without End.

December 30, 2008 – Shelved