Dustin Thomas's Reviews > Ice on the Grapevine

Ice on the Grapevine by R.E. Donald

bookshelves: to-read

I found myself interested in Ice On The Grapevine because it is a route I have often driven and have found in the past that murder mysteries that take place in areas I know tend to lend visuals to aid in immersion and suspension of disbelief.

What I was pleasantly surprised by was the author's depth of understanding not just of the ins and outs of law enforcement and trucking but her ability to convey this knowledge in a layman's fashion while using the proper terminology and protocol. You really get the feel of being involved in the events that way instead of an outsider simplistic approach.

Character building starts on the first pages as does the actions, two traits of a well versed author. People who try to emulate some of their favorite authors such as Stephen King often make the mistake of not having action right away or delay on character building, King can get away with this because his readers are fans already, other authors should take this book's example and create entry level character building early on and action to hook the reader right away.

The dialogue is well written and smooth and without giving away any spoilers there are well thought out and believable twists. The pacing is good and the lead characters are likable, flaws and all, and though I haven't read the first book in the series I now want to and look forward to reading more in the future.

I highly recommend Ice On The Grapevine as a good read and a solid example of good writing. Plus, and this is probably most important, it is a fun ride.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ice on the Grapevine.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 13, 2012 – Shelved
December 8, 2012 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
November 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read