Chynna's Reviews > Hatchet

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

did not like it

Hatchet is a book about a thirteen year old boy, Brian Robeson, who goes through many experiences that ultimately gets him stranded in the middle of the Canadian wilderness. His only two survival tools, his mind and a hatchet, which was a present from his mother. Throughout the book, we learn all of the different ways how Brian learns to adapt to his new and unfamiliar surroundings.

My thoughts:
Hatchet is probably the worst book I have ever read, and I have read a lot of books. The only reason why I finished this book is because it was for a novel study. I cringed every single time the author wrote about "The Secret", which was a lot. Brian seemed so obsessed with this "Secret" to the point that it was repeated many times in a row. I didn't enjoy the author’s way of writing either. I found there was quite a few run on sentences and he brought up "The Secret" way too many times. Seriously Brian, just get over it!!!!
Once I found a sentence that used the word "and" five different times. Talk about a run on sentence! Also, I found Brian’s way of thinking very frustrating at times. He seems so stupid in some parts of the book, I felt like I just wanted to bang my head against a wall. By the end of the novel study, I was ready to throw this book into the middle of the Canadian wilderness.
Am I the only one that thinks you shouldn’t give a thirteen year old a hatchet? Seriously, how did he even get past security?

Ok so overall, I think Hatchet is a terrible book. If you still want to read it after reading my review, I suggest you rent the book from the library, so you don’t waste your money buying it. I hope this review helped!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hatchet.

Started Reading
January 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
September 12, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

lily:) Yeah, I hate this too!

message 2: by Lilly (new) - added it

Lilly My teacher is supposed to make me read this, but I have seen SOOOO many negative reviews of this book, I might get my own copy to chuck out the window.

Karina This is literally the best description of the book ever!

Shalane Wallet I agree one hundred percent. Reading it was torturous. I may have lost braincells. My brain was literally weeping.

message 6: by Max (new) - rated it 4 stars

Max He had more survival tools than that. He put his shoe laces to good use, making a bow with them. It also says in the book that there was no security.

message 7: by Dgongi (last edited Jun 16, 2018 11:14AM) (new)

Dgongi Just saying, banging your head against the wall burns 150 calories per hour

message 8: by Dgongi (new)

Dgongi also pretty cringe how many times he easily could have succeeded then dropped his hatchet into the lake. why even include that if he just swam down and got it anyway!??!

Avey_gravy Yeah I had to read it for a novel study too I hated it