CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Margaret and the Mystery of the Missing Body

Margaret and the Mystery of the Missing Body by Megan Milks

bookshelves: american, fiction, own, queer, non-binary, trans, mental-health, trans-masc

One of the most unique books I've ever read! It's at once a reimagining of tween girl series like the Babysitter's Club (a paranormal girl detective club a la first season Buffy), a brutally honest YA novel about a queer / trans coming of age and disordered eating, a choose your own adventure / video game level style surreal metaphorical journey through the body, and an intellectual adult reflection on all this. It is truly many books in one.

Wonderfully imaginative, thoughtfully intertextual, emotionally resonant, critically 90s nostalgic. I'll be thinking about this book for a long time. It's a one of a kind masterpiece in the same vein as Sybil Lamb's I've Got a Time Bomb and Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars by Kai Cheng Thom. Wildly weird and thought-provoking.

Content warning for lots of stuff re: eating disorders.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Margaret and the Mystery of the Missing Body.

July 22, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
July 22, 2021 – Shelved as: queer
September 1, 2021 – Started Reading
September 17, 2021 –
page 59
23.05% ""What would it be like, Margaret wondered, was always wondering to move through the world and be comfortable?""
September 21, 2021 –
page 100
39.06% "Megan Milks is doing really cool things with form in this novel: a past tense narrative, a book within this book, a 90s girl detective club solving supernatural mysteries a la Buffy. Then there's a present tense narrative where Margaret, former head detective, is a teenager, her friends having grown out of the club while she's still longing for it, trying on the role of a straight teen girl & finding it does not fit."
September 22, 2021 –
page 180
September 23, 2021 – Shelved as: trans
September 23, 2021 – Shelved as: non-binary
September 24, 2021 –
page 255
99.61% ""I seek to haunt the narratives of the young girl -- at least, the ones I grew up with -- with the queer and genderqueer and trans girls and maybe-not-girls they leave out: so many missing bodies.""
September 24, 2021 – Shelved as: trans-masc
September 24, 2021 – Shelved as: mental-health
September 24, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Lockhart I'm so excited to read this!