Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews's Reviews > Scare Crow

Scare Crow by Julie Hockley

bookshelves: my-fav-s-must-reads-re-reads-3, wtf-give-it-to-me-now

SPOILERS AHEAD~READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

So if you know me, you know that I love Cameron. At one point, on GR, my name was Mrs. Cameron Hillard. But, alas,
people kept calling me Hillard so I had to change it LOL.
Scare Crow~ 2 years, 1 month, some odd days, hours, minutes, seconds. Jubilation and apprehension. Because lets face it, I feel as if I've waited so so so damn long to have Cameron back into my hands, my arms, my bed... the waiting, the wanting, the longing... was BRUTAL. And I suffered along with thousands of other fans. In silence. We got a name of the book. Scare Crow. And OHMG I swooned and celebrated. WE GOT A BOOK NAME. And then I bared again in the silence. Waiting, wanting, longing. Then every once in a while we would get Ms Hockley's updates and I would get wound up in a tailspin of emotions. Waiting, wanting, longing.

And then alas, the cover reveal. The synopsis. THE DATE. And as a blogger an ARC.

OHHMG. I have Cameron in my HANDS. HOLY SHIT. Breathe Mare Breathe. Where's the paper bag????? OMG I can't breathe.... I stared. Stared at the Kindle APP. Stared at the cover. I was scared. Because I've waited so long I didn't even want to BELIEVE that he was really here. My gangster. My long awaited "white knight". My #1 fictional love. The one I could never forget. 500+ odd books later... I'll never forget his name, his story. NEVER. He is ingrained into the very essence of my being. Few authors can make a character so freaking BAD and LOVEABLE all at the same time.

There's this thing about gangsters, the mob, anything "sully" that I absolutely love. Especially if you are the "boss". Your cunning, and ruthless, and bloody. BUT. When you love, you love HARD. Harder then most because you know in a blink of an eye, all of that, can be taken away. It makes your black & white world have colour. And love will cloud your judgement. Case in point= Scare Crow

Book 2- the long awaited sequel.

****** SPOILERS AHEAD ******

Julie Hockley can write. Write so good that you absorb the pages and the next time you blink you're done the book. This is a testament to those who love what they do.

There is only hardcore here. No whiney heroines. Dealing with your punches with backbone.

Emmy is and will always be 1 kickass heroine. And she had a lot of punches that she needed to roll with, on her own, in this book.

My in love moments of Scare Crow:

1.Emmy killing Norestrom. BAM! BAM! BAM!!! I was yelling like a crazy person and my poor husband, love him, he just rolled with it.
2.Meatball. This dog. This dog has my heart.
3.Cameron. Just him. That is all :)
4.Cameron's epilogue.
5.Emmy. She is so freaking kick ass

With that said. I had a hard time with this book. Not because it was written poorly, not because of any 1 event. But a whole bunch of things. That thing about expectations. You know that saying? Yah, I should have heeded this.

I for one, know for a fact, that I did indeed daydream about how Scare Crow would be written. And it didn't fit my day dream and that's my problem, not anyone else's. Because again I'm not the author. I'm just a rabid fan who slept, breathed and waited.

And while the writing is superb, the events in Scare Crow didn't sit well with me.

I wanted more Emmy/Cameron time. There meeting again... what was that??? It just happened. And I get it. The events that lead up to it. The almost dying. The child birth. This took precedence. But still the little communication we were privy to was just NOT ENOUGH.

Griff???? I need Griff to find his real love. Emmy was not that. They, to me, were more like brother and sister and the possible love connection. No. Just no. I got icked out. Griff as a person, bless his heart, I love him. But his jealousy and antics caused me to get severely annoyed.

The lady mob bitch. I hate her so much I even forget her name. Cause she is irrelevant and was made relevant in Scare Crow.

Carly and Spider- This relationship has disaster written all over it. It seems Carly will never get over her true love Bill. Spider needs to venture out and find someone, who loves him solely.

So much time lost. And so many gaping holes. Holes that can fit quite a number of moles on top of each other.

Holes:

1.Did Cameron sleep with the mob bitch?
2.What did Bill's letter to Carly state?
3.Daniel is really Victor's baby?
4.What happens to Francis?
5.Do Carly and Spider work it out??
6.Do Emmy and Cameron find their way???????????????????????????????
7.What happened in the underworld? Who took over?
8.What the hell happens to Victor???? The tyrant!

I am left with more questions than answers. And then..... lil whispers and words written all over Facebook and Goodreads. THERE IS GOING TO BE A BOOK 3!!!!!!!!!! OMG.

And then I sat back and analyzed. SOOOOOO DING DING DING. This is BOOK 2. So all of my above emotions were because I thought this was the end of the road. AND ITS NOT. So all those holes I feel within myself will get filled. Its gonna be a wait... I know this like I know the back of my hand.

I know I will be going through all those same emotions again.

Waiting.... Wanting.... Longing.

Mare~Slitsread

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scare Crow.

September 12, 2012 – Shelved
September 12, 2012 – Shelved as: my-fav-s-must-reads-re-reads-3
August 15, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 25, 2013 – Shelved as: wtf-give-it-to-me-now
April 6, 2014 – Started Reading
April 6, 2014 –
65.0% "Arc kindly provided by Julie to Slitsread in exchange for an honest review. Cameron Cameron Cameron How much do I love thee???? Find out when I review :)"
April 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews I NEED THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW!!! PLEASE PLEASE GIVE US SOMETHING!! I HAVE BEEN IN CAMERON WITHDRAWL FOR WAY TOOO LONG AND I NEED A HIT!!!!

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* LOL hope you are one of the beta readers hon! x

message 3: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana Chiqui **~CaLEb's KiTtEN per ShArOn**~ wrote: "I get a feeling that you love this book?"

Really?! it was a complete surprise to me, I was like hmmm who knew!!

Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews Shut it!! I need CAMERON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW

message 5: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana Mare~BFA Supreme~SLiTsReaD wrote: "Shut it!! I need CAMERON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW "

Love you too!!

message 6: by Silvana (last edited Aug 16, 2013 03:00PM) (new) - added it

Silvana Chiqui **~CaLEb's KiTtEN per ShArOn**~ wrote: "Im totally surprised S!"

YES it's not like she ever talked about it nonstop!

Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews WEll I love Cameron more than I love you guys! WHERE IS HE????????????????????????????????????

message 8: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana Mare~BFA Supreme~SLiTsReaD wrote: "WEll I love Cameron more than I love you guys! WHERE IS HE????????????????????????????????????"

I'm kind of appalled and perplexed right now!

message 9: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana Chiqui **~CaLEb's KiTtEN per ShArOn**~ wrote: "IM HURT MIRA IM FUCKING HURT"
It's OK, you'd think she'll know how fragile you are!!

message 10: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana Chiqui **~CaLEb's KiTtEN per ShArOn**~ wrote: "I know right? NO consideration at all. I feel like she just stab me then stitch it then stab me again"

Man! I hate seeing you so hurt....

Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews Get over yourselves! I need CAMERON

message 12: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana I love Cameron ( we've been warned!!)

message 13: by Didi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Didi OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Effin finally!!!