Katy's Reviews > Reversion: The Inevitable Horror

Sep 12, 2012

bookshelves: ebook, i-edited
Recommended to Katy by: J Thorn
Recommended for: fans of Stephen King's more cerebral, esoteric stuff
Read 2 times. Last read February 4, 2013 to February 5, 2013.

Review Repost: to fix some errors, and let folks know I'm holding a giveaway for this book on my blog from 4/29 through 5/7, 2013, which you can enter by clicking this link. I've also embedded some music into the post, so you can listen while you read! Go!

Book Info: Genre: Dark Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Stephen King, especially his more esoteric stuff

My Thoughts: Imagine an infinite number of realities, all vibrating at different speeds. Some are steady. Some are picking up speed. Some are slowing down. Some... are about to stop. Samuel has apparently stepped from one reality into another – this movement between realities seems to happen just prior to the point of death.

In some ways, this story reminds me of Stephen King’s short story “The Langoliers”: mainly the creeping cloud o’ doom that leaves... nothingness in its wake. There is also a sense of recursiveness - especially toward the end - that reminded me of the Dark Tower series. So, basically what I’m saying is that this book reminded me a lot of Stephen King. It’s all about the journey, about the creeping horror of individual moments, the long wait, the brief moments of terror, and then more waiting. It was... a fascinating read, and I will definitely be interested in following this series. If this sounds like something that would appeal to you, don’t wait – go and pick it up.

Disclosure: I received a free advance copy of this ebook from the author. He specifically absolved me of any responsibility for a review, but I am happy to provide an honest one anyway. In February 2013 I edited the book for re-release. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis (from the flap): With a noose around his neck, Samuel arrives in a forest littered with caution tape and artifacts of the deceased. He struggles to regain his memory while fending off a pack of wolves and the mysterious visitors who seem to know more about this dying world than he does. Major, Kole, and Mara, his new companions also trapped in the strange locality, accompany Samuel and attempt to outrace its destruction, to outrun the Reversion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reversion.

Quotes Katy Liked

J. Thorn
“It’s about what you’re willing to give, not what is demanded of you.”

J. Thorn
“That’s one thing about us Americans, right? We want everything tied up perfectly, no loose ends. We want all the answers and logical reasons for everything.... We demand a happy ending and for shit to make sense. Well, let me tell you something. It ain’t like that. Sometimes you don’t get to find out why. Sometimes shit doesn’t belong to you.”

J. Thorn
“Who owes you an explanation?”

J. Thorn
“Whether you’re the giver or the recipient of those moments, you must find them too, Samuel. I need you to live wholeheartedly. I want you to promise me that no matter what happens, you’ll seek those out, relish them, and give others the opportunity to do so as well. You are worthy of your existence. What you bring to the world matters, and that light cannot be snuffed by a cave, or a cloud, or a Reversion.”

J. Thorn
“I can’t answer all of your questions...”

“We all deserve peace.”

Finished Reading
September 12, 2012 – Shelved as: ebook
September 12, 2012 – Shelved
October 3, 2012 –
36.0% "This reminds me in some ways of "The Langoliers""
October 3, 2012 –
36.0% "A humorous moment in this book.\n [long description of corpse of a man who has crawled out of a bog]\n "I'm dead," said the man.\n ORLY?"
October 3, 2012 –
48.0% "zombie-ish things, creeping cloud o' doom... cabin fever..."
October 4, 2012 –
65.0% "Well, well, well, Major shows his true colors and what's up with Mara?"
February 4, 2013 – Started Reading
February 4, 2013 –
1.0% "I'm just starting an edit on this book."
February 4, 2013 –
7.0% "Not too much to do so far, but we're just beginning!"
February 4, 2013 –
19.0% "Time for a nap... I'm sleepy."
44.0% "GAH! Must sleep!"
February 5, 2013 –
February 5, 2013 –
76.0% "We're in the homeward stretch on this edit! Then just one more to go for the week."
February 5, 2013 – Shelved as: i-edited
February 5, 2013 – Finished Reading

Katy this book is free on Amazon today - go grab it

message 2: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny Thanks to you review (and the fact that it is free) I have to read it.

Katy Evgeny wrote: "Thanks to you review (and the fact that it is free) I have to read it."

Awesome :-)

message 4: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Thanks Katy, I'll check it out now

message 5: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I've entered my e.mail for a copy, I wanted to ask for e.pub but couldn't figure out how to do that - I'm useless with computers at times x

Katy Okay, Karen; if you win I'll have him send an epub. Good luck!