The_Book_Queen's Reviews > The Lady Risks All

The Lady Risks All by Stephanie Laurens

1954982
Sep 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: e-book, romance, edelweiss, historical, england, arc-copy, read-in-2012

Review originally posted on TBQ's Book Palace

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

I've been a fan of Stephanie Laurens since I picked up “Devil's Bride” years ago (back when I was still a teenager and had to sneak my romance novels...). I quickly devoured most of her books, and while I liked some more than others, overall I really enjoyed her books.

I haven't read one of her books in a few years now; I'm behind on many of her series. And so I was looking forward to reading The Lady Risks All. But, after a few chapters, I found myself losing interest in the book. Oh don't get me wrong—it wasn't a bad book, but it simply wasn't one that I loved. In the end, I was flipping pages, as the story seemed to drag on and I just wanted to move on to a new book.

I think reading The Lady Risks All showed me that a reader can love an author without necessarily loving every book that she was writes. Despite the fact that this particular book was just “okay”, I'll still come back to read Laurens' other books in the future, as well as reread her previous books. But, for me at least, The Lady Risks All was missing something—whether it was in the writing, the plot or the characters, it's hard for me to say. Instead of diving into the book and not wishing to come out of it, I found myself just skimming this one, waiting for it to change, hoping that by the end I'd be in love. Sadly, this didn't happen.

3 STARS! Here's the thing: if you are already a fan of Laurens' novels, you may like this one, perhaps even more than I did. If you have yet to read any of her books, this is not the one I would personally recommend for you to start with—many of her previous novels are, I feel, much better than this one. Start with her backlist; leave this one for a later date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady Risks All.

September 12, 2012 – Started Reading
September 12, 2012 – Shelved as: england
September 12, 2012 – Shelved as: arc-copy
September 12, 2012 –
page 20
4.03% "Oh, I'm intrigued so far--I forgot how much I enjoy Stephanie's novels; it's been a while since I read one!"
September 14, 2012 –
page 200
September 18, 2012 –
page 496
100.0% "Eh...I wasn't blown away by this one. I love Stephanie's work though, espeically some of her earlier books, but this one was lacking something. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great--just "okay"."
September 18, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012