Rusalka's Reviews > Empress Orchid

Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

liked it
bookshelves: own, asia, ylto-challenges, historical-fiction, around-the-world

Note to self: You have read this book. Twice. Do not forget again.

Mainly because of all the books I own, I'm kinda pissed I read this one twice. I never reread. Mainly as I have so many books to read. There are some I will reread, probably in a few years time as like a 20th anniversary since first read hurrah or something. But this one wouldn't make the list.

Look. It was fine. It was a story of a poor girl fallen from high background who managed to wiggle her way into the Forbidden City as a chosen Empress wife to the Emperor coz she was pretty and had spunk. And then this is how she used her spunk and prettiness to become a favourite of the Emperor. And then I get bored and there is half a book to go.

Yes, people are out to get her. Yes, men don't like women having influence in politics or life in general. All valid storylines, but I would read another version of it. If you want to read a book of pretty girl does good and gets rich, troubled Prince into bed, but in the Forbidden City instead of generic Europe, then give it a go. But just don't read it twice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empress Orchid.

September 12, 2012 – Shelved
January 8, 2013 – Shelved as: own
August 7, 2014 – Shelved as: asia
May 14, 2018 – Started Reading
May 14, 2018 – Shelved as: ylto-challenges
May 14, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 16, 2018 –
page 58
17.26% "Having a bit of deja vu with this one. I don't think I've read it before, but beginning to get a bit unsure on that fact..."
May 17, 2018 –
May 29, 2018 –
page 277
May 30, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: around-the-world

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Kavita I've also read it twice but I'd completely forgotten the plot, so it was okay. 😂

Rusalka Kavita wrote: "I've also read it twice but I'd completely forgotten the plot, so it was okay. 😂"

Lol that's the way to do it. I just had this annoying sense of deja vu for the first 100 pages, and then I remembered, but it was a bit late to stop at that stage.