SOS Aloha's Reviews > Death of a Neighborhood Witch

Death of a Neighborhood Witch by Laura Levine

A day without laughter is a day wasted.- Charlie Chaplin

Don't waste another day - Jaine Austen awaits you for another comedic adventure from Laura Levine. For those new to Jaine, she is a free lance author, living "la vida loca" in LA. No, no, she is not dancing to Ricky Martin. Instead, Jaine plays amateur sleuth when dead bodies appear around her. She is abetted in these cozy mysteries by her outlandish neighbor (and shoe salesman) Lance; her faithful friend (and successful writer) Kandi; and her cavalier cat (and pantyhose killer) Prozac.

Levine lets the dogs (and howls) out for her Halloween themed new release, DEATH OF A NEIGHBORHOOD WITCH. Only Levine can deliver such zany characters - the victim is Cryptessa Muldoon, "television's fourth most famous monster mom". Cryptessa's success lasted one season (many moons ago) and she has since terrorized her neighbors. Thus, her neighbors become the prime suspects when Cryptessa is murdered with her own "No Trespassing" sign. I chuckled when Jaine discovered that Cryptessa made her TV debut as a corpse on Hawaii Five O ... I wonder what Jack Lord thought of Cryptessa!

Even Jack Lord would roll with laughter at Jaine's antics in solving the crime. Jaine leaves no stone unturned (or candy unwrapped) as she plows forward in her elastic waisted pants. That's the beauty of Jaine - she is imperfect. She's real. She's a character with whom readers can relate ... especially her rationale for stocking up on Halloween candy, knowing few kids will ring her doorbell (the grocery clerk doesn't buy into Jaine's excuses). Levine writes Jaine in such a way that I can feel the physical comedy ala Charlie Chaplin himself.

The crème de la crème - Janie's parents live in a Tampa condo. They separately send emails to complain of the other. Her mother has an overactive credit card and her father has an overactive imagination. Jaine's parents hit home for me as my parents live in a Tampa condo ... and I understand the seniors' shenanigans in their golden years.

DEATH OF A NEIGHBORHOOD WITCH is alive with humor. It is the funniest book of 2012! Must read for fans of cozy mysteries and unlimited laughter!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death of a Neighborhood Witch.

Finished Reading