Jo's Reviews > What Came from the Stars

What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt

Sep 11, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, magical-realism, middle-grade, grief

I'm torn. Torn! Between unbridled enthusiasm for this book and, well, hesitation.

I loved loved loved the family parts of this book. It was wonderful to see a good sibling relationship, and overall good family dynamics. The theme of grief was worked into the book without it totally taking over the plot, and that part just felt really genuine to me.

The second thing I loved about this book was the tone. You know how the best creepy movies are creepy not because of what they show, but what they don't show? That's how I felt about this book. I just had this feeling of dread, because the scariness didn't jump out and bit you all the time, it was just there, lurking in the background.

But the fantasy part of the book...I just didn't know what to think of it. The two stories kinda collided instead of meshed for me. And the stylistic changes in writing seemed to take away from the flow of the book instead of enhance it.

Reservations aside, I would probably recommend this book to someone who was a fan of magical realism. It's definitely solid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Came from the Stars.

Started Reading
September 6, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 11, 2012 – Shelved
September 11, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 11, 2012 – Shelved as: magical-realism
September 11, 2012 – Shelved as: middle-grade
September 11, 2012 – Shelved as: grief

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Leydes I really liked his nostalgia type books a lot, so I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one. Thanks for the review.