Bryce's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

2205083
Sep 11, 2012

I've never seen Anthony Bourdain's television show. Any of them, actually. I was vaguely aware of his name as a celebrity chef (an affiliation that I now realize would enrage Bourdain), but no specifics really.

I picked up this book for my Kindle because I like food, I like nice restaurants, I like gossip and it was cheap. Starting with such nonexistent expectations, I was pleased to find I enjoyed this book very much.

Bourdain is a hard-drinking, swearing, narcissistic bastard of a chef. Someone you don't want to know personally, because he's the sort to hit on your girlfriend, borrow $50 from you and insult your mother while doing it...but he's exactly the sort of person that makes an entertaining memoirist.

The book follows Bourdain's journey to a no-name punkass kid working as a dishwasher in a resort town through his rise to a big-name punkass man running a kitchen in Manhattan. He talks about his experiences, trends in the restaurant business and about food food food. He tends to jump around in tangents, so while most of the book is chronological through his life, sometimes you get topical chapters on, say, the typical personalities of kitchen staff. Bourdain isn't a fantastic writer, but he's a raucous, entertaining one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

message 1: by James (new)

James Thane I thought this book was a lot of fun as well.