Andrienne's Reviews > City of Dark Magic

City of Dark Magic by Magnus Flyte

Sep 11, 2012

Okay, I managed to take a peek at the other reviewers beforehand so I was guarded. I had no idea what the paranormal aspect of the book would be (if any) so I just took my time and just savored it. I usually find "dead" spots in a book, probably as fillers or some sort of wayward thinking of the author, but this book in my opinion, didn't have any! I was hooked from the beginning! It has a Dan Brown feel to it with the cryptic symbols, famous historical figures (hello Beethoven!), and the magnificent landmarks (reads like a tourist guide to Prague). I definitely liked the main character Sarah. She's smart, knowledgeable, and very interesting (she's a woman who is not afraid of her sexuality!). The writing is very good; it provides plenty of detail to let you imagine the scene, but not too much that it gets lost. I definitely appreciated the pseudo time traveling concept that made me think of ghosts and even had a believable feel to it. You can't help but imagine the past when the same structures and objects are still around. I don't like visiting museums, but this book made me rethink that now. Another sign of a good book based on historical events usually propels the reader to look up more info on the real history behind it (which I already did). Worthwhile book that should not only be read but put on your shelf for a fast-paced adventure read that you can turn to again and again.
Review copy provided by Penguin Debut Author Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Dark Magic.

September 11, 2012 – Started Reading