CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Greedy: Notes from a Bisexual Who Wants Too Much

Greedy by Jen Winston

liked it
bookshelves: american, bisexual, essays, memoir-bio, own, queer, new-york, non-binary

A memoir in essays structured around the author's bisexuality and embracing rather than shamefully rejecting the stereotypes of being greedy, confused, slutty and indecisive. In theory I love this approach. In practice I don't have much in common with Winston and those experiences-- which hey, cool, the bi+ community is very diverse!

But I did struggle to emotionally connect with some pieces (except for one about sexual assault which I found quite powerful). The voice is very millenial, chatty, and Internet-speaky, in a way that felt familiar to me but also made the author's individual personality a bit opaque. That said, it's a super readable book, one that I picked up intending to just have a look and then realized "Oh I guess I'm reading this now."

There's a bit at the end about coming to a non-binary identity and using she/they pronouns. I was especially interested in hearing more about that journey, especially as it's compared to the flux and fluidity of bisexuality. But maybe that's their next book!

I'm glad I read this book. It's one of those that didn't always necessarily speak to me, but that I am grateful is out in the world and that I know will be important to a lot of bi+ folks. Fans of Gaby Dunn's work will like this, I think.

My favourite line was "It's like the gay and straight communities are our parents, and each thought the other was going to pick us up from school."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greedy.

July 19, 2021 – Shelved
July 19, 2021 – Shelved as: queer
July 21, 2021 – Started Reading
July 21, 2021 –
page 12
3.57% ""It's like the gay and straight communities are our parents and each thought the other would pick us up from school.""
page 142
42.26% "A very real, raw, messy essay about sexual assault. Whoa. (Also I appreciate there are content warnings at the beginnings of essays so I was prepared for the content)."
page 185
55.06% ""Do I make myself queer?"
Good question..."
page 196
58.33% "Ouch, why do gay people think "Oh sweetie. It'll pass!" is an appropriate response to someone saying they're bi??"
July 26, 2021 –
page 285
84.82% ""Gender remains daunting. The question feels unanswerable--it took me 32 years to realize it was even a question at all. But maybe there's power in just recognizing the need to ask. I wonder--what would happen if I didn't seek concrete answers? If I let question marks dangle for their own sake, rather than because someone didn't respond?""
July 26, 2021 – Shelved as: non-binary