Anna's Reviews > The Boy in the Suitcase

The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl

Sep 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, bookcrossing

Nina, the heroine nurse of the story, is asked by a friend of hers to pick a suitcase for her. She discovers a young boy in the suitcase, and instead of acting like a logical person (such as, calling the police for finding the owner of said drugged three year old), she decides to play a detective and find herself where the boy belongs. She discovers early on that there are some really bad guys after the toddler too, so she flees.
A great start, but it takes forever to get to real action (like materializing a real body in the story). What's great of Nina is that she's a clearly flawed female protagonist, and she can be passionate in finding her ways and solutions. So while she's running around for her life with an unknown 3 year old foreign boy with her, she ignores her work, and her husband and children. (If the series will continue with more stories, I would not be surprised if in the classic Nordic detective genre stereotypical way, her husband will divorce he in about 2 books).
Meanwhile we follow the story as seen by the mother of said three year old, from how she discovers he's gone, to her past and her fight to understand what happened.
Interesting characters (yet Nina's escapeism was irritating), and not hard-boiled enough for me. It took quite a while to learn to want to follow the characters, the biggest turnoff for me being the story focusing too much on the boy, and not on action. Well constructed; I'll give a try for some other book by the author if I'll find some day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Suitcase.