Mary Gilligan-Nolan's Reviews > The Vanishing Point

The Vanishing Point by Val McDermid

it was ok

I was really excited to see the new Val McDermid book come into my local library and hoped for great things, as the last two books were not as good as her previous ones. This one disappointed me to no end. I may be just getting to a stage where this particular type of crime fiction novel does not cut it for me anymore and I can't just take it as suspending your sense of belief and rolling with it. However, it was just a step too far into the utterly incredible and unbelievable, where the plot was just crazy. The plot was promising, a lady and her 5 year old son are going on holiday to the U.S. and when they land in O'Hare airport in Chicago for a connecting flight, the child is abducted while the mother is being screened because of metal pins/plate in her leg. Right away, it gets a bit daft. The mother is screaming and asking for help and she is wrestled to the ground and tasered by security staff and taken away to be interrogated. Now, if I worked in security in O'Hare, I would be seriously offended that I was portrayed in such a callous way. Would this have happened in real life, would the fact a mother was claiming her child was being abducted be treated this way? I hope not. It then transpires, Stephanie, is not the child's mother, but is his legal guardian. Anyway, she is eventually believed, C.C.T.V. provides evidence of the abduction, but the child is long gone. Stephanie proceeds to tell the story of how she became the child's guardian, starting with how she met his mother and this is all a little loosely based on Jade Goody, there are alot of parallels. So, enter the red herring in the middle of the story, and then exit the very unbelievable ending and I mean unbelievable in the sense that it was NOT believable. I was very disappointed with this offering from Ms. McDermid, she can do much better. I will not be rushing to get her next book, after now having endured, three below par books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Point.

September 11, 2012 – Shelved
November 29, 2012 – Started Reading
December 4, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I've been in no hurry to read this one, Mary, whereas in the past I'd get hold of a new McDermid just as soon as it was published. So sad when a favourite author disappoints. (A first world problem, I know, but still!)

Mary Gilligan-Nolan It's funny, our first discussion was this time last year, when I reviewed another McDermid book, The Retribution. That too was a disappointment. What has happened to her writing?