Shoshana's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

Sep 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: adult, chick-lit
Read in August, 2012

Hoo boy, was this one disappointing. I mean, I finished it. It’s a book about romance and chef-ery, so it’s not like I’m not going to finish it. But Gemma’s career was detailed in a confusing way, her voice was overdramatic and snotty, hers (slash the author’s) views on food were didactic and inconsistent, the side characters were boring, the romance twist was obvious, and the whole book was rich with hints of a philosophical viewpoint that I just find naïve and in fact damaging. All the talk about how things are meant to be, for one thing. And the psychic. And the way Gemma (spoiler alert) spends the whole book focused on building up her NYC career and then in the afterward has suddenly decided to relocate across the country for the sake of her boyfriend. And the way her relationship failures are really because she’s secretly scarred from a crummy high school boyfriend and pregnancy/adoption experience. (end spoiler)

Just, rrgh. Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.