Victoria Zagar's Reviews > Between You and Me

Between You and Me by Alex Mar

Sep 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: m-m, contemporary, free-reads

Between You And Me is a free story written for the Love Is Always Write event on the Goodreads M/M Romance group. It’s about two twins, Cam and Jace, who grow closer than brothers and have to face up to it. There’s incest, of course, so it’s not going to be for everybody, but it’s a fairly short read that deals with the difficulties of overcoming such a taboo well.

I liked that there was awkwardness between Jace and Cam and even some anger. Getting past the incest taboo can't be as easy as some fiction writers make it seem, especially if the couple grew up together. I thought Between You And Me was a good start to a story and that it handled its subject matter well and without fetishizing it.

I don't usually complain that a story should be longer, especially when it's a freebie, but I would have liked to have seen more, especially since they will have to face many problems in the road ahead if they want to stay together. I did think the ending lines were a perfect way to end it, though. It's a nice little story that provided a good hour's entertainment. Nothing too deep or mind-blowing, but definitely a worthwhile read nonetheless.

My only real nitpick is that the video game mentioned in the story is called Mario Kart, not Mario Cart. Most people won't notice or care, but little details like that can throw a reader out of the story if they are actually knowledgable about such things. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me and it didn't influence the star rating, but as a gamer myself, I do like those details to be correct if they are mentioned.

This review was cross-posted to Infinite Love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between You and Me.