karen's Reviews > Mary Modern

Mary Modern by Camille DeAngelis

Dec 28, 2008

bookshelves: death-is-not-the-end, table, favorites
Read in January, 2009

my emotional development stopped at the "tell me a story" phase, and that's all i expect from a book. i don't need it to change my life, i don't need it to answer every one of my questions, i don't need it to teach me about any historical atrocity.

this is not a perfect book, but it is a deeply entertaining book. it's true that the characters are largely unlikable, but that's also true of Wuthering Heights and Jude the Obscure, two of my all-time favorites. if it's the idea of cloning that is upsetting the more delicately religious/political folks, just power through - pretend it's like a unicorn in a fantasy novel or the spontaneous combustion in Bleak House - it is something that is happening just to drive plot - it isn't reeeeealll!! it is just genuine fun in the vein of liz jensen or when jonathan coe is being funny.

do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Modern.

The Crimson Fucker You know I had a huge fight over the fact that I hated this review and somebody else love it! and I’m aobut to vote it too!!! Seriously kill me!!! Kill me now!!!

Funny fact about my compulsive review reading morning: my cousin just told me I look constipated..

karen jesus. hated?? it mentions unicorns! whats to hate? you can say it isnt particularly helpful, but hate is so strong!

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor this is good

Carol ☀ Walking in Sunshine So love the first line on this review!

karen it's true! i am stunted.

Carol ☀ Walking in Sunshine As someone who hands out 5* reviews like popcorn, so am I!

karen yup. books get an extra star just for making me laugh.

Amy (Other Amy) karen wrote: "my emotional development stopped at the "tell me a story" phase, and that's all i expect from a book."

*standing ovation*

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom this is that hardcore vegan author isnt it? I liked the look of her other book, but I felt bad for being a meat eater.

karen oh, i loved that book. and i love meat. don't feel bad! read it and use a sausage as a bookmark! or bacon i guess would be better for that.

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom ha ha, according to her I can't even drink a glass of milk while reading!

message 12: by karen (last edited Jan 31, 2016 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen she's a nice lady. she'd overlook it. she was okay with me eating little tiny people in my review of it. peeeeepullll