Jen's Reviews > Outpost

Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Sep 10, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia
Read on September 11, 2012

A very good second installment to a fascinating and sadly probably accurate representation of humanity overcoming the odds and rebuilding.

Holy cow. Do religious zealots freak me out. They weren't even really more than touched on in this book, but they still manage to just freak me out. And I believe in God. But zealotry is just freaky.

Not my greatest and most in depth analysis but I had little to say about this book other than I liked it a lot. A LOT. After the last three depressing dystopian novels I tried to get through this world is refreshing and leaves me wondering where they are and what has happened. I'm as invested in the answers as the characters have been.

Characters who are well defined, true to themselves while still managing to grow! Bravo Ann Aguirre you have officially managed to find that balance that the last several author's I read found so elusive! Eureka! It can be done! And has been done well here. It gets a tad redundant in places, but Duece's confusion and the dynamics between the core group are wonderful. Watching Tegan and Stalker come around to each other was a bit predictable, but I believe that's because it's realistic. There's a fair amount of angst and the questions and situations the characters face seem more real because we're watching them grow and be accepted into more of a home in this book.

For the record I'm terrified for Momma Oakes and Edmund. And I did almost cry over Longshot. Longshot was kinda awesome. Eagerly looking forward to the next installment and wishing 2013 would get here already. I can't remember the last time I read a book and was anxiously waiting for a sequel to read the entire book. Usually it's only for one character, or in some really sad cases because I don't know how an author will be able to pull something off. But these books are surprisingly short considering the time and depth covered but none have let me down so far.

Ann Aguirre, you have made me a very happy reader! Thank you!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outpost.