Laura's Reviews > We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance

We Die Alone by David Howarth

Dec 28, 2008

liked it

** spoiler alert ** "He was still under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that gangrene would go on spreading, unless one got rid of it, like dry rot in a house. The source of it all was his toes. They were not part of him any more, although they were still attached to him, and it seemed only common sense that he would be better off without them. There was nobody he could expect to help him; but now the time and the chance had come, and he made his preparations to cut off his toes himself. He still had his pocket-knife, and he still had some brandy. With the brandy as anaesthetic, and the knife as scalpel, lying curled up on his side in the snow with his leg drawn up so that he could reach it, he began carefully to dissect them one by one."

In 1943, Jan Baalsrud and 11 others went a secret mission to fight the Germans in Norway. Baalsrud winds up alone and stranded. During his journey to safety, he endures an avalanche, suffers frostbite, and nearly starves. This is a good book, but there were many parts of it that seemed too incredible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Die Alone.