Laura's Reviews > High Fidelity

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

Dec 28, 2008

It's a three-minute single, and I'd had to take it off after about a minute and a half. I played "Holiday" by Madonna instead; I used modern stuff every now and again, at times of crisis, just like people who believe in homeopathy have to use conventional medicine sometimes, even though they disapprove of it.

Good, but not as good as About a Boy. This book is about a guy in his mid-30s whose girlfriend has just left him. It's funny but also a little irritating. The guy is still living the life of someone in college. He can't get his act together and he can't commit to anyone. He owns a record shop and spends his days making top 5 lists and thinking about his ex-girlfriends. At one point he meets a really nice couple and has a great time and then is shocked when their record collection sucks. He's 35 and he's just discovered that you can still relate to someone even if their musical tastes don't match yours.

Anyway, I think this book sometimes irritated me because the main character seemed so real that I wanted him to be the good guy and sometimes he wasn't. Still, a really good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Fidelity.