Michelle's Reviews > The Richest Man in Babylon

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

Dec 28, 2008

Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** The Richest Man in Babylon is a fantastic book to change your wealth paradigm. Originally published in 1926 as a series of booklets, the chapters are a little disjointed, but well worth the read. Clason espouses some very simple wealth building principles. First, save 10% for yourself. Secondly, invest 10% with the advice of knowledgeable and prudent advisers. Finally, he recommends using 20% of your income monthly as payments to get out of any debt you may have. Clason recommends distributing this debt payoff amount evenly between all outstanding debts, thus paying them simultaneously. The remaining 60% can be used for living expenses. He encourages thrift and fortitude to lift oneself to wealth and warns against gaining wealth quickly.

This book is applicable today when so much of the nation is in debt and living from one paycheck to the next. Many delightfully told stories of lifting oneself from poverty and dishonor to hard-won wealth sympathize with our situation and encourage diligent effort.

One piece is missing: the tithe. A 10% donation to God will certainly yield greater benefit than any investment. Also, after debt payoff, increasing donations and/or investments and continuing to live on 60% of your income would be a good idea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Richest Man in Babylon.

10/02/2016 marked as: read

Anzar Kamal I liked ur comment very much, in Islam we are asked to pay for poor 2.5% of our income, but 10% would be very generous.