Kat Sommers's Reviews > The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master

The Plot Whisperer by Martha Alderson

Sep 09, 2012

There are so many books on writing, and some wash over you, and some just click. This was the latter for me.

I was a bit worried at the start when the author mentioned she was into energy and healing, but actually the use of "energetic points" (nothing more than first turning point, second turning point, crisis and climax) around which your story must be constructed was helpful to me, as my writing suffers from a lack of excitement and direction. The descriptions of how your story must develop and along what lines were clear, and the tools (a plot planner, or story chart, and scene tracker) were just what I needed.

A lack of excitement and direction is also how I'd sometimes describe my life, which brings me on to the second point about this book. Martha emphasises the struggle you must go through as a writer, and draws it in line with the "struggle" you are writing, the story of your protagonist fighting obstacles in the way of her goal. I found this helpful. Not only can your story limp from time to time, but your confidence withers too. This book tackled both issues.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plot Whisperer.