Donna's Reviews > The End of the Affair

Sep 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-books, general-fiction, read-in-2012
Read from September 09 to 12, 2012

Hmmm...a difficult book to rate. This is one of those books that makes me feel that I'm just not "literary" enough because I didn't enjoy it. Greene's writing is quite wonderful as he dissects the tortured souls who are involved in a love triangle. He particularly delves into the psyche of Bendrix, the "other man".

My problem with the book is Bendrix's character. I'm not even sure if we're supposed to feel sympathy for him but the bottom line is I have no patience with the "tortured artist" persona. Bendrix feels so deeply and passionately that he hates and loves Sarah with equal passion. I'm not buying it. Deliberately causing someone emotional pain and suffering is not love. Bendrix is the type of person I simply have no use for in real life so I got no enjoyment out of his story.

The book is short, only 6 1/2 hours on audio. I had a hard time finishing it, as the angst-ridden, emotional inner dialogue of Bendrix just went on and on. The writing was excellent and the narration by Colin Firth was outstanding but I was relieved when it came to an end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of the Affair.