Ann Ciasullo's Reviews > TV

TV by Susan Bordo

U 50x66

Read 3 times. Last read July 10, 2021.

I love the Object Lessons series, and I love Bordo's writing, so this book was a treat to read.
Bordo brings her deep expertise to bear on what was once a material object—the television—and what has now become what is best described as a vast choice of viewing opportunities. Opening her book with personal narratives about her relationship with TV (who doesn’t love a chapter entitled “We Have Six Televisions”?), Bordo beautifully captures the multifaceted, contradictory nature of television: how it brings us at once pleasure and frustration and judgment (one of my favorite sections is “Disney Made Me Diet”). What struck me as most interesting in Object Lessons: TV is the way Bordo moves between a discussion of several genres—sitcom, drama, reality tv, news, politics—so as to illustrate the enormous and wide-ranging role television plays in constructing our daily lives and our understanding of race and gender in particular. With her typical wit, clarity, and humanity, Bordo invites readers on a journey across the decades and asks us to consider how television has been, as she describes, “a constant companion and dominant force—for good and for bad.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read TV.

Finished Reading