Craig Bergland's Reviews > Everything Is Spiritual: Who We Are and What We're Doing Here

Everything Is Spiritual by Rob Bell

liked it
bookshelves: christianity, memoir

What do Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, and Matthew Fox all have in common beside male pattern baldness? They all need an editor: Fox because he is in love with the sound of his own voice, McLaren because he is myopic, and Bell because he is redundant, repetitive, and says the same stuff over and over. That would be bad enough if he didn’t bring those annoying traits to his awkward description of human reproduction, but he does. I might have been able to tolerate it, like a nauseated man swallowing his own vomit, if he didn’t repeatedly (of course) refer to the creation account in Genesis as “a poem,” which it isn’t.

I am all for re-telling ancient religious stories in contemporary verbiage. I am also all for grown up language when writing for adults, so if I was assigned to write ad nauseum about human reproduction I wouldn’t feel compelled to write “male contribution” rather than “sperm.” Is there an adult in the house, maybe? If not, maybe we could send out for one…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Is Spiritual.

July 9, 2021 – Started Reading