Cookie E.'s Reviews > The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

The Book of Mormon Girl by Joanna Brooks

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, christian-fiction, biography-memoir

I follow Joanna Brooks on Twitter, and really enjoy her posts. When I heard that she had written a book, I had to read it. While I am not Mormon, her stories resonated with me. I, too, grew up in an environment where religion and culture were joined at the hip, and I found her stories "familiar" and heartwarming (or heartbreaking, depending on the story). While I may not have had jello salad, funeral potatoes, or object lessons - what I did have seems an awful lot like them.

What I appreciated most about the book, however, was Brooks' difficult revelation that the religion she loves and respects in so many ways is not living up to its best self (at least from the author's perspective). I wish her continued success as she works to carve a place at the table for herself and others like her who refuse to be "disappeared from the faith" of their ancestors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Mormon Girl.

Started Reading
September 6, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 8, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Lezlee Hays I really enjoyed this. Mainly because I identify so much with some of the things Joanna feels and talks about in this book. Our childhoods were very similar, and funnily enough, I became much more liberal while at BYU too. I think academia is like that regardless of whether the school is owned by a conservative church or not. The one thing I am glad to see is that Joanna's voice is one that speaks for many of us. I love the church/gospel, but that doesn't mean that every aspect of orthodoxy is easy for me. I'm really glad she shared her story.