Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}'s Reviews > The White Forest

The White Forest by Adam McOmber

I just bought my copy on amazon. So when Sarah and I buddy read this, I have a copy no matter what.

Edit: Where to begin to describe this book?

The characters were flawed but believable. I didn't feel like punching anyone, but there were some unlikeable characters but you were supposed to hate them.

There was a love story but it didn't feel like it took over the plot, but it was a big part of the plot. The most important theme was friendship when it came to the dynamics between the three main characters.

There were homosexual characters, but I doubt the accuracy of portrayal of acceptance at that time, but at the same time it seems believable for the most part. It was a secret but everybody knew.

You have no idea how happy it makes me feel to have gay characters as supporting characters in fiction, and not have them be the stereotypical gay bff.

The prose was amazing. I loved the gothic Victorian atmosphere. It read like a Charlotte Bronte novel, and was more entertaining than Jane Austen (sorry! She bores me).

The mystery and the horror elements were build up slowly. The ending was definitely intense and I wasn't quite expecting it.

I enjoyed this book very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Forest.

September 8, 2012 – Shelved
June 3, 2014 – Started Reading
July 27, 2014 –
page 16
5.28% "There was a gay male relationship mentioned in this chapter so far. Yay! :D"
July 28, 2014 –
page 170
56.11% "This is really interesting. Very Victorian gothic horror. Reminds me a little bit of Charlotte Bronte's style. Infinitely more entertaining than Jane Austen. (Sorry Jane Austen fans)."
July 28, 2014 – Shelved as: creatures
July 28, 2014 – Shelved as: spiritual
July 28, 2014 – Shelved as: magick
July 28, 2014 – Shelved as: relationships
July 28, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Sarah Mac (new) - added it

Sarah Mac Man, I hope this one is as awesome as it sounds. I'll be so disappointed otherwise; I love dreams & spiritualism & dark victoriana novels. *crosses fingers*

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "Man, I hope this one is as awesome as it sounds. I'll be so disappointed otherwise; I love dreams & spiritualism & dark victoriana novels. *crosses fingers*"

Me too. We should buddy reads this. Y/N?

message 3: by Sarah Mac (new) - added it

Sarah Mac Cool! :) I won't be getting a copy until xmas, though, so if you don't want to wait I'll understand.

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "Cool! :) I won't be getting a copy until xmas, though, so if you don't want to wait I'll understand."

I can wait. :)

message 5: by Sarah Mac (new) - added it

Sarah Mac I totally forgot about this buddy read! :) We'll have to do it after I finish Maia. (That's about 900 pages, so it'll be this summer. Heh.)

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "I totally forgot about this buddy read! :) We'll have to do it after I finish Maia. (That's about 900 pages, so it'll be this summer. Heh.)"

Cool. I haven't started it yet, so I can wait a little longer. :D LOL

message 7: by Sarah Mac (last edited Jun 07, 2014 02:57PM) (new) - added it

Sarah Mac You're the only person I know who can read 10 books at once. :D

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "You're the only person I know who can read 10 books at once. :D

I'm planning to start Maia after approximately 2 more books. Just getting my gothic fix before I dive into epic fantasy, haha."

LOL I guess it's a gift. :P

message 9: by Sarah Mac (new) - added it

Sarah Mac My absolute max is three. I hardly ever read more than two, though. And they have to be different genres. I got sick of reading so many books at once when I was in school -- nowadays I like to concentrate on each one.

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} I can understand that. I just like to binge!read :P

message 11: by Sarah Mac (new) - added it

Sarah Mac Your currently-reading shelf is EPIC, dude. :D

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "Your currently-reading shelf is EPIC, dude. :D"

I'm actually cutting through it now lol There used to be 50+ >.<

message 13: by Sarah Mac (new) - added it

Sarah Mac Hahaha. What's the tally now?

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "Hahaha. What's the tally now?"

16. I put most of them on hiatus lol

message 15: by Sarah Mac (new) - added it

Sarah Mac Your secret is safe with me. :D

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "Your secret is safe with me. :D"

Hahahahaha thanks :D

message 17: by Sarah Mac (last edited Jul 31, 2014 03:18PM) (new) - added it

Sarah Mac Woot! Sounds like I'd love it. :D I'll definitely be reading this one & Harwood's The Seance after the monster buddy read.

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!} Sarah wrote: "Woot! Sounds like I'd love it. :D I'll definitely be reading this one & Harwood's The Seance after the monster buddy read."

:D