Sarescent's Reviews > Delusion in Death

Delusion in Death by J.D. Robb

Sep 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-books

** spoiler alert ** I'm putting some backstory before the review, so this will be long.

My aunt got me hooked on In Death books in high school (10+ years ago now) and I devoured them. The first 12 books make up my favorite series ever. That said, sometime around Born in, this series jumped the shark. Eve became perfection personified, like a Mary Sue from a well-written fanfic, the villains and crimes got repetitive, and even the love scenes got, well, dull and generic. I still have enormous affection for what the series used to be, so I keep reading. New York to Dallas was an exciting return to form and gave me hope for the future, but Celebrity in Death was the worst book in the series. I cannot remember who the killer or the victim were, and worse, I don't care enough to reread and find out.

This book? It's much better than Celebrity, but it's no New York. The pace is quick, the crimes themselves are horrifying but inventive (NOT a sex crime for once, which was also a nice change), and the new supporting characters were well-developed. Eve and Roarke's whopping two sex scenes were nothing new or particularly steamy, but Robb continues to develop her friendships with Mira and Peabody, which is nice to see. (I really miss Mavis though! One scene is not enough!) The villains are more reruns--basically the same villain from Big Jack/Remember When, only it's a grandmother instead of a grandfather.

To sum up: a decent addition to the series, but nothing fabulous. It goes down easy and at least it's better than Celebrity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delusion in Death.

allegorie Yes, around Born in Death the series took a nose dive. I too liked NYTD(!), even when many hated it; I think it was awesome. I'm glad Mavis is not going to be a lot on this one; I can't stand her LOL I do wish Robb would go back to steamy sex scenes between Eve & Roarke, and their awesome fights. It made them more relatable and more, IDK, awesome. Thanks for you honest review :D

Bonnie Totally agree about Born in Death. Although I'm not sure the series has completely jumped the shark, that would've been the turning point. Some good ones since then (including this one) but starting to become same old-same old.