Carl's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

M 50x66
Dec 27, 2008

bookshelves: for-my-kids, female-author, british, young-adult
Read in July, 2007 — I own a copy

----second read: 2011----
Rowling is truly one of the most engaging writers and plotters I have read. For the second time, I read the 750+ page behemoth in less than 24 hours. I don't think I have ever read fiction from any writer that goes down so smoothly, despite the exhausting complexity. I don't disavow my 2007 review; I feel more strongly than ever about what I expressed in its last paragraph.

----first read: 2007----
Having read all the HP books aloud to and with my daughters, I can say with confidence that the series is unique in the depth and richness of the imaginative world and style. Rowling is an extremely talented writer -- I read each of these mammoth tomes in a single day before I started to read them with the girls, and never for a moment felt that I was being compelled by anything other than plot.

That said, this book 7 did drag in ways that the first five never did -- even the 6th, which was the least satisfying of the seven in most ways, had no segments as slow as the camping segment of this one.

And yet I still loved all of them. I still regret the development of the film series which, though mostly pretty good by fantasy film standards, make possible the one thing I disdain: the possibility that a many-hour words-only imaginative reading experience be condensed and simplified as someone else's visualization in a film. It's a shame that any person who saw the film(s) instead of or even before reading the books might think that he or she has had the full experience. That's how great the Harry Potter series is: I believe that it is truly a loss for any person to have missed experiencing it for himself or herself.