Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

bookshelves: fantasy, audiobook, dual-or-multiple-povs, adult, currently-own-fc, favorites, re-reads, historical-aspect, best-of-2017
Read 2 times. Last read July 3, 2017 to July 11, 2017.

Re-read reactions 7/11/17: Ummmm WOW. So I forgot like 75% of this book haha. I guess it's a good thing that I re-read it! It was actually really fun though because it was like a whole new book, partly because it had been so long and partly because I've changed as a person and in my tastes as I got older.

What's funny to note as I skim over my review from my original read back in 2012 (omg, this was a lot longer ago than I thought!! I thought it had only been three years and it had been five!) is that I actually didn't like Celia and Marco that much and yet that was all I remembered years later! I did remember Poppet and Widget but had totally forgotten about Bailey and I didn't remember feeling particularly connected with them, although my review claims otherwise. After re-reading, I think that I really just connected with everyone and everything a little bit more. I don't remember appreciating Poppet & Widget on my first read but I really enjoyed their story this time around from several angles and I think I appreciated this much more on my re-read. I felt more pull to Celia and Marco although I actually do wish that I had felt a little bit more of that tension and forbidden romance for a little bit longer.

I also really enjoyed the overlapping timelines more here, the story-telling, the different concepts that I had forgotten about, and the loop back to the beginning where it all started. I have a lot of new perspectives from which to see this book and it was so wonderful doing this as a re-read. I don't know how I forgot SO much but it was actually kind of neat because it really almost was like reading it for the first time. I had toootally forgotten how it ended (I also had done this with The Scorpio Races on my first reread) so it was really neat to see everything unfold again. There was also a lot that I had probably missed the first time around in the subtle things that are said outright so it was neat picking up so much more.

Full review originally posted HERE on The Book Addict's Guide: This book is actually really hard to review for me. It took place over such a large expanse of time and I was introduced to so many characters that I'm not really sure what exactly to say about it! I guess if the author wanted to leave the readers mistified, consider it done! I'm kind of in a circus haze and I was in awe of the magical elements of the story and I feel left just a little confused.

The Circus: I simply adored the circus. It was delightful, it was enchanting, it was mysterious and I wish I could have really experienced it. The circus is a place that appeals to all of the senses: seeing the tents, feeling the atmosphere, smelling the gentle perfumes and food wafting through the air - I really wish I could have actually been there! But I did my best to imagine it. Overall, I think I was more interested in the circus itself than the stories of the actual characters!

The Celia & Marco story: I didn't really fall into the romance side of their story until towards the end of the book. Maybe it was hard to see them together when they were bound from the beginning, but only to remain as opponents. I really did like Celia quite a bit though! I think I didn't really see chemistry with Marco.

The Poppet, Widget & Bailey story: I actually found this story much more enjoyable than the main one of Celia and Marco. Maybe because we start with Poppet & Widget as children and then see how they grow into adolescents - but then again, we also do that with Celia and Marco. Hmm. I think I just liked this story a lot more. It was simpler. It was less dramatic. It introduced non-magic to magic. And it seemed to have a real future.

Audiobook Impressions: First off, I LOVE Jim Dale. I had no idea he was the narrator until I started played the CD and gasped! I was told he also narrates the Harry Potter audiobooks? In which case, I might need to pick those up! Also, he was the narrator in Pushing Daisies.
I actually can't say anything bad about the audio narration except for maybe that his voice didn't work quite work for young female... But that's to be expected!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours) Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.”

Erin Morgenstern
“I have you here, all around me. I sit in the Ice Garden to get a hint of this, this way that you make me feel. I felt it even before I knew who you were, and every time I think it could not possibly get any stronger, it does.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Which tent is your favourite?" he asks.
"The Ice Garden," Celia answers, without even pausing to consider.
"Why is that?" Marco asks.
"Because of the way it feels," she says. "It's like walking into a dream. As though it is someplace else entirely and not simply another tent...”

September 8, 2012 – Started Reading
July 21, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
July 3, 2017 – Started Reading
July 6, 2017 –
July 10, 2017 –
75.0% "Wow, I forgot so much of this..."
July 11, 2017 –
90.0% "Seriously forgot this whole ending."
July 11, 2017 – Finished Reading