Grammar*Kitten's Reviews > Greaveburn

Greaveburn by Craig Hallam

Sep 08, 2012

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads

I was lucky enough to win a copy of Greaveburn in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

From the very first page, this novel is bursting with wonderful imagery, which gave me a great feeling about this book.

Craig Hallam is a fabulous world-builder; Greaveburn's gothic glory and the city's subterrenean slums are described in vivid detail, allowing the reader to immerse themselves into this fantastical place. The names of the characters are very appropriate to the settings, but I found that I couldn't take to them too much (the names, not the characters themselves!). Luckily this did nothing to detract from the actual novel for me, and likely will not bother others in the same way as me!

The characters are intriguing, as are the ties and obligations between them;they're not as deep as I would perhaps usually like, but they're certainly not too shallow to be enjoyed. The Cholers, in all their repulsiveness, are described especially fabulously.

I won't say much about the plot itself, as it's really one you ought to read. Greaveburn is a very well written novel - I particularly enjoyed the use of language and it's structure; I find it is very rare these days that I read a novel in which I find no mistakes, enjoy the style of writing and cannot criticise from a purely technical point of view. Craig Hallam is to be commended on his efforts, and Greaveburn is most definitely worth a read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greaveburn.

September 8, 2012 – Shelved