Ari's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

Sep 08, 2012

bookshelves: recommended, must-read, emotional, male-pov, favorites, great-books, rereading-material, standalone, by-color-gray-ish, by-color-yellow
Read 2 times. Last read September 9, 2012.

Wow! This was such a feast for my eyes and mind!

My thoughts after finishing the book: SO GOOD! I didn't even have time to mark it as currently-reading, this is how lost into the story I've been. One of the best books I've read in quite a while!

Full review:

Romance aside, this story is about people .. All kinds of people in all kinds of scenarios, with different lives and in different environments. It's the most wonderful book about what it means to be human.

It takes you on a journey around the world not physically but emotionally, it travels through space and bodies and it talks about so many taboo subjects that you can't even imagine.. This, my dears, it's a real piece of art!
“I wake up thinking of yesterday.
The joy is in remembering; the pain is in knowing it was yesterday.”

You can learn a lesson from almost every chapter, you can be in the body (and somehow even the mind) of all kinds of people, struggling with their problems, creating others, trying to fix the unfixable or to keep untouched the precious moments in their lives.

You learn that actions have always consequences, that when you change things you have to assume the responsibility for doing so; you get glimpses into the head of so many types of people and at the end of the day not only you can learn a thing or two from it, but you can really become a better person.

It's not that the concept is entirely original (I remember seeing when I was young a movie series quite similar to this) but the amount of research needed for this story and the perfection with which it has been implemented turns this book into a real gem. It's fresh, it's well written, it is addictive and so full of precious content.

There are few books that have left an imprint on my life; this is definitely one of those.

I love this guy - I mean the author - he is so smart and open. He talks about so many things with conviction, but without trying to make you believe the things he does; he gives you the good and the bad in all situations and I must confess that reading this book (and being just for a bit in his mind while doing so) felt really, really good.

Now about the characters...

I'll start with A and Rhiannon.
As you should know from the book description A (which is a name, by the way) does not have a body. He is just a soul spending each day on a different body. We think of him as a boy but in fact he has no gender, and each day he can be a boy or a girl, having no control over where his soul might wake up in the next morning. He doesn't know why it happens, so don't try to find out because this is not what this story is about.

All days are similar - he wakes up, tries to find out what he can about the person he has to be that day, and tries not to mess up things for that person, because the lives he lives are borrowed and he has no right to ruin them.
"I only have a day to give - so why can't it be a good one?"

One day is different though. He is impersonating one guy called Justin and falls in love with his girlfriend. Justin is not a good person and he is not good for/to Rhiannon, but wouldn't A want to be Justin for the rest of his life? Wouldn't he want to wake up in the morning and still be here, wouldn't he want to have Rhiannon in his life forever?

It's a day that changes him, it's a day that changes everything.. And so the story starts..

For you it might feel like A starts liking Rhiannon too quickly, it might feel like insta love, but try to picture A's life, try to imagine a life when every single day is different, a life where you meet a person today but you might never be given a second chance.. How long it would take for you to give away your heart, how long it will take for you to fall in love?

Day by day A. gains more information about her, he tries to see her again and with everything he learns about her day after day he gets to care more, to truly love her - for the way she thinks, she acts, she feels.
"My life doesn't add up to anything. Except for an afternoon, it did."

Truth being told, all A needed was to belong, he needed something palpable in his life and so he found Rhiannon.

She is for him a symbol of everything he can't have. It seemed like love at first sight, but in his world that's the only kind of love he can get. There is no way to meet again someone and to relive a day such that he could fall in love in the usual way. So I didn't mind him focus all his attention on this girl that has stolen his heart and that he can't possibly have because every day he becomes someone else.

In a way, this is how Romeo and Juliet should play around in our days (the concept, not the Shakespearian play), with the entire universe against our sweet couple. Some will love their story, some probably won't, but don't think about the whole book as a romance, because you'll be missing a lot... that's the reason all this started, yes, but there are many other amazing things about it that will steal your heart.
"This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it’s just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be."

There were so many other characters that are worth talking about, so many destinies that A changed, so many lessons to learn from. There were happy moments, and sad ones, there are tons of quotes that will make an impression for sure, there are so many great ideas hidden between the pages, the lines, the words in this book.. Nothing feels like it has been 'spilled' at random in this sea of magical thoughts, and there are not enough words in the world for me to tell you how wonderful this story was to me.

I loved the stories of every person A impersonates during his travel..

Drug addict, fat person, geek, gay, transgender, homeschooled, mean girl, rock boy, suicidal girl (and so on, and on, and on) - there was a selected group of people that can/will leave an impact on you. You might not relate to any of them, but you can understand them all. They all speak through A.'s voice and you might ask yourself if this is the author telling you life-changing stories, or the characters are really alive talking to you - they are so realistically portrayed.

I remember a chapter that I liked a lot: There was a drug addict that needed badly to take a doze and A kept fighting it, fighting his body's needs, he tried to stay focused, to think of a way to make it through the day, he tried not to let the body win.. It was such an emotional chapter and it gave insights into the power of the mind, something I've thought about over the time.

On each day, either the body was weighting on A, or the feelings were be pressing on him. He could feel the sorrow, the despair, the addiction but also the happiness, the calm, the hope and the love... It was such a beautiful orchestra of emotions playing in front of you - one that you can focus on each individual instrument and their beautiful, heartwarming music.

There are also references regarding morality, some social issues are talked about and even Christian beliefs are considered. Every scene has its own emotion, every person gives you something to think about, every moment is important because there's always some meaning behind the tale.

And because I don't know in how many other words to tell you that I loved this book to pieces, I will simply end on a nice note:
"I turn back. I keep turning back to see her. Even when there are walls between us. Even when there are miles between us. I keep turning back. I keep turning in her direction"

...Just like I'll always turn back to this story.

Happy midnight reading!

* This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
September 8, 2012 – Shelved
September 9, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 10, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
September 10, 2012 – Shelved as: great-books
April 20, 2013 – Shelved as: rereading-material
November 9, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: recenzii-ro (Paperback Edition)
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: standalone
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-gray-ish
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-yellow

Sharlaine Reading a lot of good reviews about it. Glad you liked it Ari.

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Oh, Sharlaine, there were so many things i loved about this book.. for me it is not only a story, but a real piece of art.
It's not the romance that made me love it so much, but everything else (and there's a lot!). If you get to read it I hope you will love it just as much :D

Laura Yay! So happy you loved it, Ari! :) "piece of art"--love that! So true! Looking forward to your review.

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari It was amazingly beautiful, Laura, thank you!
My review should be up the following days (I'm official back at home but still in holiday mode, LOL)

Laura Hey! Welcome back, Ari! Stretch out your holiday as long as you can! :D
Gossip soon!

message 6: by Yasmine (new) - added it

Yasmine this looks like a very interesting book :)

message 7: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari For me it really was. I loved the concept and the execution of it as well :D

Laura Beautiful review, Ari! Could not agree more—this book leaves “an imprint”. Love that!
So glad you loved it! Enjoy your day! :)

message 9: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Thanks Laura.. I really loved this story quite a lot ;))
Same to you!

message 10: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ I'm very intrigued by this story but I'm afraid about how it will end. I always want a happy ending. Wonderful review Ari. :)

message 11: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Not sure if this is a spoiler of some sorts, but well .. Quite happy it is not, but it gives hope. I think that this book can be turned into a series, as there were clues left here and there hinting for that posibility.

For me, the important part was not the romance (there are elements there that i don't like in love stories), but everything else regardin A, the people he got to be every day, how hard it would be to try having a normal life, and his memories from when he was a child and learned about his abilities.

I loved this book to pieces, but it depends on the reader's expectations and what's the most important for that person. Some might love it like I did, some might see it from a different point if view and have a different opinion.. I just hope that when you give it a try you will enjoy it.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It was fantastic, good story and pacing, really realistic ending, easily because my all time favourite.

message 13: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I know, from time to time I find a book that I really, really love and I am happy to say that "Every Day" is one of those :)

message 14: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Kouklinou Amazing review Ariana!

Emily I am looking through all the reviews for this book to try and figure out if this is a series or just one novel. On goodreads the title is Everyday (Everyday #1) like it does for other series. I was just wondering if anybody new if this was going to be a series.

message 16: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I am not sure.
It ended in a way that could hint for a second book (even though it could end right there just fine), and there is also a short story about A, that might be another reason they would mark it as a series.
I didn't hear anything about another book - not yet. Still, if I find anything for sure I'll let you know.

message 17: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Later Edit: Well, it definitely seems like a second book it's on its way: Rhiannon (Every Day, #2)

Emily Thank you. I camt wait for this book!

Susana Great Review :)

message 20: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Thanks, Susana! I hope that you are enjoying it :)

Rachelle i felt uneasy, not to find any answers to why A was like that. I was actually looking for answers and when i have finished the book, still with no answers i felt incomplete and so i thought there would be a sequel to it, but then i felt disappointed again when i knew that his sequel was going to be all about rhiannon's perspective, i didnt really care much about her, i cared about A. i want him to find answers, after all his situation was the main focus of the story, and that we were intrigued to the story because he was unusual.

Rachelle questions popped into my mind when the A said he was "born". if that so, i thought there may be a body just right for him.

Rachelle questions popped into my mind when A said he was "born". if that so, i thought there may be a body just right for him.

message 25: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I'm with you in this, I loved the story because of A and his experiences, not because of the romance or Rhiannon. I am still curious about it, and maybe we will get some answers in the sequel (I truly hope for that, otherwise there would be no point for a new book), but I am trying to keep my expectations low, as I don't want to feel disappointed in any way.

message 26: by Huma (new)

Huma Noid I appreciate how this book is written. He includes a lot of diversity in his characters. Levithan plays on conventional concepts of identity, like sex, style, and social role.

It is a nice love story. You pointed out how Rhiannon and A's relationship is like a modern Romeo and Juliet, and I agree with you. It's incredibly romantic. Over-romanticized, I feel. This story is so out of the ordinary that it becomes cliche. The impossible love. Overcoming all odds. Her boyfriend is a jerk, and A is some kind of tragically isolated superhuman.

I feel like it's so very much a young adult novel. The diversity included was played up so much. There was no subtlety. It was like he went out of his way to include everyone. To show how open-minded he was, and set forth this message about how everyone is really connected and relatable, but somehow in that contrived inclusion, he misrepresented people. He made them into stereotypes, like the mean girl, or the suicidal girl. He showcased these qualities for the sake of them. It just felt so forced to me- so dishonest. I somehow end up criticizing the writer himself, asking how he thinks he can write all of these people. How he must imagine that he's such a good guy, representing everyone, but leaving the meaning of the story with little substance.

And he always does the right thing. He always chooses the high road and never missteps. In the end, he chooses to give up possible happiness for her and others. He ignores the appeal of the other body-hopper. He doesn't even bother to understand. There was such a clear plot curve. Such an obvious conflict and climax of the story- like it was written from a formula. Of course, this whole body-switching concept is cool. I didn't like though that they never explained it. If they had elaborated on it more, I think it would have been a redeeming factor. If they had this whole philosophy about how it was to play out, and a real explanation for this alternate reality that maybe had some metaphorical basis. But it seemed like it was all a flimsy device for these two perfect characters to fall in love.

Elyse Your review is awesome!!!! I just read the book wrote my review - and can't get enough of thinking about it!!!!!
Thank you for taking your time in writing you incredible review

I've started the 2nd book!!! Have you?

Hugs! Elyse