Chris Aldrich's Reviews > Biological Physics: with New Art by David Goodsell

Biological Physics by Philip    Nelson
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Biological Physics.

Quotes Chris Liked

Philip    Nelson
“At the dawn of the twentieth century, it was already clear that, chemically speaking, you and I are not much different from cans of soup. And yet we can do many complex and even fun things we do not usually see cans of soup doing.”
Philip Nelson, Biological Physics: Energy, Information, Life

September 8, 2012 – Shelved
September 8, 2012 – Shelved as: engineering
September 8, 2012 – Shelved as: itbio
September 8, 2012 – Shelved as: microbiology
September 8, 2012 –
September 9, 2012 –
8.0% "Interesting approach so far, but still fairly low key to this point."
September 10, 2012 –
13.0% "Still nothing imminently new in content, but his framework presentation makes it an interesting review. References to later chapters sound intriguing. His ability to put things into visual and physical order in terms of size is very commendable as it will help with intuition later."
September 14, 2012 –
17.0% "Chapter 2 is a somewhat interesting overview of the molecular biology of the cell. Nothing inherently interesting from an information theoretical perspective, though I'll note that he does use dreaded words like "blueprint" when speaking of DNA. He also throws in a IT-related criticism of Crick's phrase "Central Dogma" in a footnote without providing a reason why."
October 30, 2012 –
October 31, 2012 –
November 2, 2012 –
November 20, 2012 –
23.0% "Reviewed over parts of chapter 2 and reread opening of chapter 4."
December 14, 2012 – Shelved as: physics
December 14, 2012 – Shelved as: biology
March 10, 2013 –
22.0% "Back to beginning of chapter 4 to find my place..."
March 10, 2013 –
26.0% "An intriguing chapter. I do wish there were a higher level of mathematical sophistication in general, but primarily I appreciate the fact that Nelson frequently takes a step back to look at derived results to get a grasp of physically what is going on. Asides on topics like Einstein and how the topics/problems he worked on were interrelated are particular gems that will guide future researchers/scientists."
March 15, 2013 –