Michael's Reviews > A Brief History of Time

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

bookshelves: favorites, science, non-fiction, read-in-english, physics

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of Time.

September 7, 2012 – Shelved
page 66
April 4, 2013 –
page 73
page 85
40.09% "For this mechanism to work, the unseen object has\n to be very small, like a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.\n From the observed orbit of the visible star, one can determine the\n lowest possible mass of the unseen object. In the case of Cygnus\n X-l, this is about six times the mass of the sun, which, according to\n Chandrasekhar’r result, is too great for the unseen object to be a\n white dwarf."
page 100
page 101
47.64% "At the end of the\n conference the participants were granted an audience with the\n Pope. He told us that it was all right to study the evolution of the universe after the big bang, but we should not inquire into the big\n bang itself because that was the moment of Creation and therefore\n the work of God."
April 6, 2013 –
page 115
54.25% "free lunch. But the universe is\n the ultimate free lunch."
April 6, 2013 –
page 115
54.25% "As Guth has remarked, “It is\n said that there’s no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is\n the ultimate free lunch.”"
April 8, 2013 –
page 125
58.96% "This might suggest that the so-called imaginary time is really thereal time and that what we call real time is just a figment of our\n imaginations. In real time, the universe has a beginning and an endat singularities that form a boundary to space-time and at which the\n laws of science break down. But in imaginary time, there are no\n singularities or boundaries So maybe what we call imaginary timeis really more bas"
page 127
59.91% "So long as the universe had a beginning,\n we could suppose it had a creator. But if the universe is really\n completely self-contained, having no boundary or edge, it would\n have neither beginning nor end: it would simply be. What place,\n then, for a creator?"
page 137
64.62% "If you remember every word in this book, your memory\n will have recorded about two million pieces of information: the\n order in your brain will have increased by about two million units.\n However, while you have been reading the book, you will have\n converted at least a thousand calories of ordered energy, in the\n form of food, into disordered energy,"
page 145
68.4% "The reason we say that humans\n have free will is because we can’t predict what they will do."
page 146
68.87% "The idea here\n is that when time travelers go back to the past, they enter\n alternative histories which differ from recorded history. Thus they\n can act freely, without the constraint of consistency with their\n previous history. Steven Spiel-berg had fun with this notion in the\n Back to the Future films: Marty McFly was able to go back and\n change his parents’ courtship to a more satisfactory history"
page 165
77.83% "if we do discover a complete theory it should in time be\n understandable in broad principle by everyone, not just a few\n scientists. Then we shall all philosophers, scientists and just\n ordinary people be able to take part in the discussion of the\n question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the\n answer to that it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason \n for then we would know the mind of"
page 165
77.83% "Einstein’s second great cause was Zionism. Although he was\n Jewish by descent, Einstein rejected the biblical idea of God.\n However, a growing awareness of anti-Semitism, both before and\n during the First World War, led him gradually to identify with the\n Jewish community, and later to become an outspoken supporter of\n Zionism."
page 166
78.3% "he was offered the presidency of Israel.\n He declined, saying he thought he was too naive in politics. But\n perhaps his real reason was different: to quote him again,\n “Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the\n present, but an equation is something for eternity"
April 11, 2013 – Finished Reading