Leendert's Reviews > Annie Leibovitz at Work

Annie Leibovitz at Work by Annie Leibovitz

M 50x66
Dec 26, 2008

Many interesting anecdotes about working with the Rolling Stones, Hunter Thomson, the Queen, Obama, the methods of other photographers.

p 18. "I had the nagging feeling that magazines were the wrong road, that working for one was selling out, but feeling guilty is not a bad thing. You should always question what you do.'

p 168. "It took me years to understand that I equated asking someone to smile with asking them to do something false."

p 204. "I'd give the camera to my assistants to make some polaroids to test the lighting and their pictures would always be out of focus. (Tat gave me a certain amount of pleasure, since assistants *love* to tell you that what you've done is out of focus.)" The equivalent of asking someone to comment on a piece of writing and getting feedback on spelling and grammatical errors.

p 207. "What's great now, digitally, is that you can keep the image that used to exist only on the Polaroid. So you shoot less. You get to see what you're doing." So just the opposite of what we amateurs do.

p 214. "When do you know you have a good picture? When I was young, I never knew when to stop. I could never tell what I had. I was afraid I was going to miss something if I left. I remember working with the writer David Felton on a story about the Beach Boys and being surprised that at a certain point he just walked away. He said he had enough material, which seem incomprehensible to me. What did he mean he had enough? How could he even thing like that? I thought that if you kept doing it, it would get better and better. As I became more experienced, I began to understand that someone who is being photographed can work for only so long and that you shouldn't belabor the situation. Something is either going to happen or it's not going to happen. It's not going to suddenly turn into something else. Or very rarely."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annie Leibovitz at Work.