Lindsey's Reviews > Off Balance

Off Balance by Dominique Moceanu

Dominique was my favorite gymnast in the '96 Olympics; I remembered her immediately when I heard about this book and I couldn't wait to read it. After getting to "know" her better, she's everything I thought she would be: intelligent, articulate, and inspiring. (As an aside, I feel like she and I could be good friends if we knew each other.)

I found Domi's Romanian upbringing fascinating, and I loved getting a look into the other aspects of her life (although the gymnastics bits were obviously the most interesting to me). Kudos to her for working to change some of the injustices she's faced in the industry, which she details in her writing.

I wish that more time was devoted to her family in the last chapter. It seems like so much more could have been written about her father's death. I was a little surprised she didn't include him among the book's dedications. Also, throughout the book you rarely hear much about her younger sister Christina--it's almost like she was the forgotten child lost in her sister's spotlight.

Overall, this a great and fascinating read! Dom's captivating, and she held my attention throughout the book as much as much as she still does when re-watching her gymnastic vids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Balance.

Started Reading