Megan's Reviews > The Power of One

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Mar 24, 2007

liked it

I had high hopes for this book, but in the end was a little disappointed. It seems towards the end of the book he lost track of where he was going with it all and just ended it, although maybe this says more about my lack of getting his point than it does about his writing style. One thing he does have though is energy, and that helped in keeping me interested. I also think the "power of one" is a rather funny concept considering the main character, Peekay, who supposedly possesses (or cultivates) this power owes much of it all to the support he has from many friends, mostly adults. People who took the time and energy and love to support him and promote him, mind, body, and spirit. His power of one is only possible from the love and care of many. And it makes me sad that the story ended with a story of revenge, i think it cheapens the story. So, to conclude all of these random comments, I think that the story had a lot of potential and there were some good things about it, but I think it could have been better executed and I'm not quite sure I agree with the philosophy behind the whole thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of One.

Finished Reading
March 24, 2007 – Shelved

message 1: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:58AM) (new)

John Ms. Toups,

did you see the accompanying movie? Although quite different (and worse in some places), it may offer an alternative that addresses your criticisms, particularly about the book's ending.

(plus the visuals are pretty amazing, or were to me-as-six-year-old.)

message 2: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Megan Actually, the movie was the reason I wanted to see the book. We watched it in Sociology my senior year in high school and parts of it had stuck with me. I guess I liked the story told in the movie much more than the one in the book, at least as I remember it (that was six years ago now). Have you read the book as well?

Brad Glad to see sommeone was bothered by the ending. Most people I know were totally satisfied.

Steve Moseley I completely agree

Bella I have to say that with all your semicolons and intentionally formed sentences, I'd rather eat dirt than re-read your review, but I've read the book four times.

Devin Fitzpatrick It doesn't end there... there's a sequel. Tandia.

Beth I totally agree with your comment. The ending cheapened the book.

Ingrid Grindstad I don't think the ending cheapened the book. The ending was barbaric, yes. But it reminded you that this almost too perfect person, was human. He let his heart make his decision for once in his life since he was 6 years old, and took the revenge that has been weighing him down in the back of his mind. Peekay always did everything right, and the ending had brought you back to the realization that he was only human.

Ingrid Grindstad And as mentioned before, the story continues in Tandia (I am only halfway through the sequel now so no spoilers please)

message 10: by Neil (new)

Neil Glover I agree Megan, I got frustrated by the ending, it was meandering in places; also got a little wearied by the "everyone who helps me dies" trope.. glad to know there is a sequel.

Pamela There is a sequel. Tandia. That might give you more closure.

Wendy Jackson I read some time ago that Courtenay found out his son was sick (or similar) when he was finishing the book, so had to wrap it up quickly. The publication date and the death of his son (2 years later) somewhat align.

Frida Guys just read the sequel Tandia and it all comes together with a much better ending. It's amazing!

Chris Carr The movie was much better than the book.

Clint Pereira Glad to hear the movie had a different ending. It really felt like the last chapter was just a revised draft. Disappointing.

Sarah yeah. the whole power of one thing... i don't see the problem. no one does anything alone. no one is born with all the knowledge and skill and heart to do something great. i thought this was a really inspirational story. he had a goal, it wasn't a sexy goal, but he persevered through so much hard work and the help of so many people. revenge isn't probably ideal, but hey - work hard, accomplish your own goals. hopefully it's not an evil genius goal. that's my takeaway.

Sarah Pinheiro And that's when you read 'Tandia' book 2. I just loved book 1 and certainly didn't feel he lost his way writing the ending. It was perfect! Especially when you follow it with the intended Tandia. Beautifully written!