Nancy's Reviews > War Brides

Sep 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: kindle
Read from September 07 to 15, 2012

** spoiler alert ** England during WWII is one of my favorite times and places to read about, so I was very excited to read War Brides. In the end, it was ok. The main characters are interesting, as are the backstories that bring them to Crownmarsh Priors. However, there are so many secondary characters, and the book goes back and forth between the characters so abruptly that it can be difficult to keep track of what's going on. In particular, the Manfred storyline deserved more attention but got pushed into the background by everything else going on. Either give it the detail it deserves or leave it out altogether!

In the end, I would have liked to have a longer book that tells us more about what happened to Elsie, Alice, Evangeline, Tanni, and most of all Frances between the end of the WWII story and the reunion 50 years later. Why is Evangeline an alcoholic? Tell me more about Tanni's amnesia. What was Alice's life like in America? How did Elsie adjust to being such a wealthy woman? And did Frances die as Hugo said she did?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War Brides.