Chris's Reviews > Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets

Homicide by David Simon

Dec 26, 2008

bookshelves: reporting, work, crime-and-trial
Read in December, 2008

Updated Review:

I re-read this because I am going to teach it this fall. In a book about how homicides are investigated, Simon looks at race, class, politics, police, residents, drugs, sexism, racism, and any another ism. There is plently in this book to chew over.

Older Review
I finally read this. I loved the NBC series based on this book. Honestly, if you are debating reading this book, read it. Simon is fair, and his writing is compelling. You get a real sense of people he writes about as well as the department as a whole. If you watched the series, you will be amazed about how much was used from the book in developing plot lines. It is a book that I will think about using in class.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homicide.

10/30/2016 marked as: read

Hazel What kind of class,Chris? Journalism or sociology, maybe?

Chris Reading and study skills is what I'm going to use it for. But without a doubt, you could use it in a journalism and sociology class.

Hazel Ahhh. Is it particularly useful to use material that has striking/strikingly relevant content, even though the content itself isn't the point of the lesson?

Forgive me. That sounds like a fatuous question to ask a teacher. :-~

Chris Yes. Many of the students haven't read a book and it helps it chose something that is (a) cheap and (b) intelligent without being difficult. In other words, adult. It is an adult book, there are many issues, but the vocab isn't going to be far above them.

Hazel I see. So you have to use something that's appealling, accessible and illustrative of the lessons you want to teach. Interesting. :-)