Melanie's Reviews > Steamroller

F 50x66

liked it

Short and sweet

Rating: 3.25 🌈

Totally sweet college romance. This is one short story that I wish had been expanded a bit in places to give us a firmer foundation of both characters, their history on the campus, and at the end. Especially with them facing the huge upheavals in their lives.

Vincent is the most fully realized of the two characters and I like his snarky self just fine. Could have done with more of him and his crew at the local small print store . They were a great group of found family and made the story more then any of the other people introduced later.

That includes his best friend and “ brother” who bailed on him and the rent for a tiny apartment, being a nonentity here basically for most of the story , while supposedly a huge part of Vincent’s life.

That’s one issue here. Elements that are foundation components to these characters and to the story just don’t get much narrative time. And it shows. With both boys history and with the big revelation from Carson about his feelings for Vincent. The author just laid no groundwork for it and I wish she had because this is an adorable couple with great potential.

There needed to be more to that ending because as crafted, Vincent was not the sort of person to behave irresponsibly and leave his friends/co workers hanging. We and they needed something more.

So a cute romance that needed a bit more length and closure to feel complete.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steamroller.

September 7, 2012 – Shelved