Lori (Pure Imagination)'s Reviews > I Hunt Killers

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Sep 07, 2012

liked it
Read from September 24 to 27, 2012

To be honest with you I really hadn’t paid much attention to I Hunt Killers until the Decatur Book Festival in September. Barry Lyga was there and a lot of fellow bloggers had read the book and told me that I must read it asap! Really, I don’t know why I didn’t already have it on my Must Read list. It has a lot of elements that I love. It’s dark and slightly twisted. It’s about serial killers, which I’ve always had a strange fascination with. I thought that I was going to fall helplessly in love with it. Unfortunately, that wasn’t completely the case.

The high expectations were probably my downfall. One of the things that I had trouble with was Jasper. I liked him, but I felt very disconnected to him. I suppose that’s understandable since he fancies himself a sociopath, but I needed some sort of connection. I also thought he was slightly inconsistent. He thought he was this murder hungry serial killer in the making, but his actions were never anything like that–except for maybe one scene. I just have mixed feelings on Jasper. On the one hand, I feel like I probably wasn’t supposed to have this great connection with him, but on the other hand I wanted that connection.

There were still plenty of things I liked about I Hunt Killers, but the number one reason was Billy Dent. I was completely hooked when it came to him. Hearing about his illustrious murdering career and Jasper’s childhood is what kept me glued to the book. It was so compelling. It was also gruesome and bloody. I’m one of those strange individuals that doesn’t mind gore, and with a serial killer book what can you expect. I was very pleased with how appropriately dark it was.

While I had some issues with Jasper and thought the pacing was a tiny but slow, I still really enjoyed I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga. It was a captivating read and it definitely ended in a way that makes it impossible to not read the sequel. I’m looking forward to it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hunt Killers.