MsAprilVincent's Reviews > The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Dec 25, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, young-adult

As I was reading, I had to keep reminding myself that the story is contemporary, that it doesn't take place in the 1950s or the 1820s. That's because the characters don't watch television, they're polite to adults, they care about their education, and they use their imaginations to fuel their leisure activities. They're awesome.

Four sisters--Rosalind, Skye, Jane, and Batty--are vacationing in the country with their father. They've taken over a cottage on a large estate, and they meet Jeffrey, the owner's son. They do have some adventures, but they're the normal kind you probably had when you were a kid, the kind that happen without magical intervention or time travel or monsters.

The Penderwicks and their friends seemed very familiar to me, and I realized that it's because I've read these kinds of stories before: Ramona Quimby, Jo March, Mary Lennox, and Anne Shirley could have walked through the pages of this book and been right at home.

It's nostalgic but not sappy, and it just made me feel good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks.

10/24/2016 marked as: read